Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Questions, questions and, more... you guessed it...

I know, it has been several months since I've posted anything. I think quite often that I should post something...you know, something happens and I think, I should write this on my blog. But, then, by the time I get home, feed the kids, say hi to the husband, get the kids in bed, I'm lucky if my eyes are still open. I even thought a few times...OK Friday, Friday is my blogging day. But, many Fridays have come and gone since thinking that. Now, through reading other peoples' blogs, I have been inspired and luckily I have about a billion "drafts" already started that just need whipping into shape. Ok, maybe not a billion but more than one :-)

Today I'm going to answer some questions...questions I have received from people out there like:

1. As a woman in Saudi, can you work? Shouldn't you just take care of the kids and eat dates?

I'm not sure if the question applied to me specifically or to women in Saudi in general. But, the short answer is yes, women can work in Saudi. (There is of course a much complicated answer but, I'm not sure if I am qualified to give it...without getting it wrong.) I have seen women working at schools, hospitals, airports, and salons. Selling mobile phones and working in gift shops I have met women that run their own businesses. I know foreign women here on work visas. Women are working as maids and nannies. But there is a category of women...those like me who are here because their husbands have work visas who are not supposed to work. Many do however...illegally. The risk is that businesses may be (and are) "raided" by the Department of Labor looking for women working illegally.

I'm not sure that women take care of kids here, that seems to be left mostly to the nannies. A woman's job seems to be to shop and socialize with her girlfriends if not working.

Dates? I've never really cared for them, but a cup of real Arabian coffee (its green by the way) together with a date is a nice treat!

2. Have you bought a camel? Do they have camels there or are they dromedars?

No. We don't have a camel. And, one thing I have learned since being here is that this question between camel or dromedar is really important to some. Well, dromedars, as I understand itare camels. So, if you have a dromedar you also have a camel. It's like asking do you have a mellon or a cantaloupe. That said, I've only seen one-humped camels.

3. Have you come across any fun traditions that you think you'll bring back with you? Do you celebrate Ramadan?

No, not that I can think of...and well, I wouldn't say that we celebrate Ramadan but in a way we are forced to observe Ramandan. During Ramadan it is forbidden for example to eat, drink, smoke, spit, etc during daylight hours. In order to follow this Islamic law, most everything is closed during daylight hours, everybody sleeps during daylight hours, and then in the late afternoon early evening everything opens. It is as if day and night change positions...for everybody in KSA. This year we'll be celebrating Ramadan by leaving KSA.

4. Is your post office like those here in the U.S.?
I have yet to understand how (if) the postal service works. In general, it cant be trusted.

5. How big is the compound? Since your home is new, what is the make up of the homes there? Some older or in a different section of the compound? Are you able to take outdoor pictures of the compound, or of your home?

Our compound is about 400 homes. The compound was built about 15 years ago. We can take pictures while on the compound.

6. Is there a Starbucks in your compound?

No, but just about everywhere else!

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment