Sunday, November 21, 2010

Season's Greetings

So, I've been on the lookout for Christmas decorations. Saudi Arabia is an Islamic country which means no Christmas celebrated here. And, although it is ok to practice a religion other than Islam in your own home, it is a no no to sell Christmas decorations or otherwise promote a faith other than Islam publicly or in a group. And for those of you thinking well, celebrating Christmas is just what we do, whether or not you're religious...right. Here there is no such thing. Everybody has a religion whether they know it or not, whether they practice it or not, or whether they believe or not.

We are going to be here in Riyadh for Christmas. At first, I thought that during our quick trip home to Sweden in December we could celebrate Christmas and be done with it. But after more thought, I realized that we live here and we will be here. Why not make an attempt to make it Christmas-y?

I had heard that the careful shopper, during November, can find Christmas decorations. This is apparently because nobody is looking for the selling of Christmas decorations until December. So, during November, Christmas decorations can be purchased and then, come December 1, everything is pulled from the shelves. I have not found this to be the case..in my wanderings during November, I have not come across any Christmas decorations ... well, almost.

I had it all figured out. I would smuggle a Christmas tree in to Saudi Arabia on my next trip abroad. (***and now, as I am sitting here writing this, I am thinking, humm, how much of this can I actually write in an open blog????***) I'll leave it at that, I had a plan. Had discussed the plan, and was prepared to set the plan in action when I found myself at...a place. At this place I saw...a person. And, the person was carrying A CHRISTMAS TREE (of the fake variety). I stopped this person and asked,

"Where did you get that tree?!"

A quick trip to...another place and I found myself talking to...another
person :-) (Ohhh, it all seems so secretive and sneaky!!)

"Do you have Christmas trees?" I asked.

"Yes. What you want? One meter? Two meters? Three meters? What you want? I have. I can deliver it to you"

"Uh, I don't know, how tall are you?"

After a little sign language we settled on a size. "Yes, yes, I have" I was told.

"You give me your phone number and I will call"

The next day I get a phone call.

"Yes, madam, I am here, with your tree."

"Uh, you're here? I don't have any money to pay you"

"Its ok. I have tree. You call me when you want to pay"

Sometimes this country makes me smile...in a good way. I have a tree and I get to pay for it when I feel like it.

So, I have a Christmas tree....Looks like I'll be teaching the kids how to string popcorn this year!

Any other ideas?????


1 comment: