Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Real Housewives of Riyadh, KSA

So I'm flipping channels the other evening and land momentarily on The Real Housewives of New York. I don't know why I stopped, there was something about the way the women looked, and sounded...a little hardened or something, but maybe that's the accent. Do New Yorkers sound more hardened than others?

Anyway I came in as LuAnn de Lesseps was explaining to Bethenny Frankel (yes I had to look it up) in the back of a car driving through Manhattan how Bethenny should never introduce LuAnn to a driver as LuAnn but as Mrs. de Lesseps. It was a little bit of a lesson on manners that LuAnn was giving Bethenny..the whole time Bethenny looking and sounding as if she could not believe her ears and LuAnn looking and sounding as if she could not believe that Bethenny didn't understand the finer points of entitlement. It was clear that LuAnn thought herself better than others while Bethenny just didn't get it.

Sometimes in KSA I feel like a Bethenny in a sea of LuAnns. LuAnns talk about "these people" where I only see "people"

"These people don't understand...."
"These people don't know..."
"These people can't..."
"These people won't..."

LuAnns treat the drivers, gardeners, maids, etc as if they are invisible, instead of saying:

"Hello"
"How are you today"
"What is your name?"
"Where are you from?"
"Thank you"
"Have a nice day"

LuAnns make snide comments about others under their breath instead of giving others the benefit of the doubt.

I'm hoping to find more Bethenneys soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment