Saturday, July 17, 2010

Breaking the Law...x2

We have had the good fortune of being asked quite frequently to do things. It seems as though as soon as people hear that a new family has arrived or see a family they haven't met before the invites start flooding in. Even the maids are bringing cakes and goodies.

Today we were invited to go for a swim at a nearby compound with a couple of other people that had heard we were new to Riyadh and wanted to extend a hello.

At 12.40 the kids and I took a shuttle from our compound to the compound that we were to visit. It was nice because the shuttle goes right to the front dooor and then off-load all of our bags (planning a day out by the pool with two kids at the home of perfect strangers means bags must be packed!). We started our visit by having lunch at the restaurant. The kids were a little tired so we went to the home of our host and relaxed for a little while. I thought maybe we should skip the swim as the children weren't really themselves and go home. I tried to call my husband several times but, no answer. Then we thought no biggie, we'll just get a car from the compound to take us. Unfortunately all of the phones were down at the compound. I then made a call to our compound and requested a car, nope all booked. After a few more calls to hubbie with no answer, we decided to go for a swim.

At the pool, my host called her husband who said that he could drive the kids and I home when he got home from work. He arrived, we dried off, said our good-byes and hopped into the car. Once outside of the compound gates he says to me:

"So now we're breaking the law two times"

It took me a moment to really understand what he was saying, "really?" I said.

"Yes, I should not be driving you and you are not wearing your abaya"

Oooops!!!

3 comments:

  1. you better start wearing your abaya !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to our friends there was a lady who just wore a jeans and shirt in the market area and they said the mutawa sent her in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me nervous. Please don't go to jail.

    ReplyDelete