Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lashing Offense?

My naiveté is showing again. Awhile back my Nespresso machine stopped warming milk; an essential component of my morning latte. Thankfully, or so I thought at that time, I had a driver and a compound restaurant. The driver took care of all of the details with the Nespresso machine. Took it into the distributor, made sure it got fixed and made the trips back and forth hoping to get there while opened because, still, sometimes knowing when businesses are opened is more like dumb luck.

While the machine was being fixed I was thankful for the compound restaurant because I could get up in the morning, give a call and have my morning fix delivered to my doorstep. Not bad! After a short time an employee at the restaurant got wise to my calling and started to call me asking if I would like a latte...even better!

Then he started calling to chit chat (which I politely tried to get out of)
Then he asked me for my personal mobil number (which I did not give him)
Then he ran out of the restaurant every time I walked passed bringing treats for the kids (which I did not accept)
Then I came home one afternoon to find that he had brought food over that I didn't order nor did I pay for.

Uh oh.
I had a problem. What to do?
I pondered this for awhile. How should I handle this situation.

I could be straight forward...get in his face...order him to leave me alone...I thought in this environment, that could be dangerous. At the end of the day, I don't want anybody to have a reason to dislike me.

My husband was out of town...so, that wasn't an option.

Right! I have a maid and a driver. I decided that the best course of action was probably to remove myself from the situation entirely. I sent the maid with money for the food, asked her to pay for it. While there, she told the man that he should leave me alone because he could get in big trouble for his behavior. When my husband returned, he had words with the man and told him it was inappropriate for him to be calling and bringing over food to our house.

I relayed this story to some friends of mine and the man in the family commented that this was "a lashing offense". I think it is, but at the end of the day, if reported, I am unsure who would be getting the lashing.









No comments:

Post a Comment