Friday, June 25, 2010

Arriving in Riyadh

At 15.00 on the 24th of June, we boarded our flight from Frankfurt to Riaydh. When we arrived at the gate, I was already searching for signs of something...different. I didn't see any. Lots of travelers, a great mix of people. Nothing spectacular.

On the flight I sat next to a German man that had lived in Riyadh for 17 years. His family had been with him right up to the terrorist attacks of 2003 and then the family went back to Germany. I asked him what his children thought of the experience today. And he replied that his son that just turned 18 requested a trip to Riyadh for his 18th b-day.

As we neared Riyadh, I started looking around the cabin for signs of other women changing into their abayas. Having not been to KSA before and not really knowing what to do, I was searching for cultural clues....what I realized was that there wasn't another woman sitting in our section. All men. Thank goodness we were traveling with two children! The kids were asleep when we landed which ment that I had to wait for help unloading them which gave some of the other passengers time to exit the plane before us. All of the women that walked passed...maybe 5 western women and 2 muslim women....had abayas on. Whew! I quickly put mine on and was ready to go!

There was, again, nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary with the airport...Eucalyptus trees inside...I thought that was cool, I love Eucalyptus trees!! When we arrived at the passport control we were immediately pulled out of line and showed to an official that checked our passports and let us through, passed all of the other travelers waiting, with a "Welcome to Saudi Arabia". All the while, smiles, winks, and warmth where being shot at our 5 and 1 year olds.

As we were waiting for our luggage our 5 year old really had to use the restroom..so we headed for the "toilet" sign and two men sitting in front of the door kindly pointed us in the direction of the women's restrooms. Once inside, she said "Mamma, be careful that you don't get your pretty dress dirty". The restrooms weren't the cleanest but they definately weren't the dirtiest I have been in either.

The customs agent didn't look twice at us, and within what seemed like minutes from getting off the plane, we were getting into the car that was waiting for us, a Yukon, instantly I felt a little as if I were back in the US. Although, waiting outside of the airport was largely men....Arab, Pakistani, etc in mostly robes.

My first impression of Saudi Arabia? Only positive. Thus far the people have been warm, a little shy but quick to joke, friendly and helpful.

Let's see what tomorrow brings :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment